[Pdf-women] Women, Sisters, If They Don't Give You a Set at the Table, Bring a Folding Chair!

Soloveni Vitoso infor at pacificdisability.org
Mon Jan 7 15:22:53 MST 2019

https://justassociates.org/en/civicrm/mailing/view?reset=1&id=562

[JASS Header]<https://justassociates.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11294&qid=238852>

[http://www.justassociates.org/sites/www.justassociates.org/files/civicrm/persist/contribute/image/white_band_298.jpg]

"If they don't give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair." - Shirley Chisholm <https://justassociates.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11311&qid=238852>
This year, women took up space at many tables. Fed up, angry, and hungry for change, women-led organizing efforts exposed corruption, demanded an end to violence in our homes and schools, and defended the planet in the face of a climate crisis.
Building on years of under-the-radar organizing leading up to this moment, important victories gave us hope in an otherwise grim political landscape. In the U.S<https://justassociates.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11295&qid=238852>., young women, Native Americans, LGBTQ people, and women of color are poised to take their seats in Congress next month. In Mexico, women now comprise 51% of Mexico's Congress<https://justassociates.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11296&qid=238852> - the result of decades of women's rights advocacy - and half of the new cabinet, including the Interior Minister Olga Sánchez Cordero, whose humanitarian approach to asylum seekers stands in stark contrast to the militarized U.S. border. These election victories created promising possibilities for change, like the pursuit of justice and truth by mothers and family members of more than 37,000 missing and disappeared<https://justassociates.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11312&qid=238852>, resulting from the last decade of violence and the war on drugs.
As you see below, beyond headline news, women have resisted and created collective alternatives to the socialized inequalities, violence, and exploitation embedded in our current systems. Women-led mobilizations and advocacy were only possible due to years of sustained grassroots organizing, leadership development, alliance building, and most importantly, the under-the-radar education and community organizing that change the culture and values underlying misogyny, racism, and exploitation. This has been the heart of our work at JASS for more than a decade since we launched Imagining and Building Women's Movements of the Future in 2006.